1. Nicodemus was a ____________ of the Jews (V1). He came to Jesus by ________ (V2).
2. Nicodemus thought Jesus was a ____________ come from God (V2).
3. Jesus said that to even see the kingdom of God, a man must be b______ a______ (V3).
4. A man cannot enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of w________ and of the S__________ (V5).
5. That which is born of the flesh is __________ (V6).
6. That which is born of the Spirit is ____________ (V6).
7. The Son of man (Jesus) had to be lifted up (crucified on a cross) just like __________ lifted up the ___________ in the wilderness (V14).
8. The reason Jesus came was because God __________ the world. Whoever believes in Jesus will not ____________, but have everlasting _________ (V16).
9. God didn't send His Son into the world to c__________ the world (though He will judge the world one day); He sent His Son so the world might be ____________ (V17).
10. A person who believes in Jesus is not c_____________. A person is condemned only when he has not ____________ in Jesus (V18).
11. Light has come into the world, and men loved ____________ rather than __________ because their deeds were __________. Jesus calls this "the c________________" (V19).
12. He that does the ____________ comes to the light (V21).
To be born again is to be born "from above," to start life over, to have a different beginning. Natural birth makes one a member of the human family. Spiritual birth makes one a member of God's family. The Spirit works in us and we see outward changes. For example, a person who has stolen doesn't steal anymore. It is just like when the wind blows. We can't see the wind, but we can see what it does. So too is someone who is filled with the spirit of Christ. We can’t see the spirit, but we can see the effects of a person’s life (the fruits of the spirit Galatians 5:22-23).
A person whose spirit has not been born of God is spiritually "dead" (Ephesians 2:1, 5). Cleansing from sin comes first by the death of Christ and the death of our old way of life. Then the Spirit makes us alive with new life-Christ's resurrection life. Both are necessary to enter into God's kingdom. New birth takes place when the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of Jesus Himself) actually enters and lives in our bodies.